mem oirs (mem'warz)
n.pl. 1. an autobiography 2. a record of events based on the writer's personal observation and knowledge

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Being Famous.


Would you want to be?

I saw Stacy Julian today at Target with her adorable kids.

I debated-- do I say hello? Do I leave her alone so she can get her shopping done? Does she like to be derailed from her to-do list to chat with adoring fans? I ended up just leaving her alone. But later I'd wished I had at least said hello.

I did have to share the news with someone who understood. So I texted my friend who always "gets me" when it comes to silly scrapbooking connections and relationships. I said: "Dude. I just saw Stacy Julian in Target."

A few minutes later, I get the following response: "Shut up! What is she doing and buying? You should stalk her. JK."

It made me laugh. And I know she was "JK"... just kidding. But it did make me think.

Is "being famous" worth it? I get that there are different levels of famous... from an incredibly creative woman and mom who is known by thousands (or even hundreds of thousands) scrapbookers, all the way up (or down?) to those individuals whose faces don't seem to ever leave the pathetic gossip magazines that stare at us each time we purchase groceries. But either way, these people deal with others around them-- known or unknown-- who think they know who they are. But do they really KNOW the person behind the fame? And is that a good thing? Or is it just too bad?

What do you think? I'm just curious.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angela,
You are hilarious.
So, I'm curious -- where were you in Target? I of course was all over -- do tell!

and btw, I do NOT in any way feel famous. too funny!

AngMomof3 said...

I was the woman in all black with binoculars two aisles away the whole time you were there... okay not really. I think you'd just made your way into the store. We passed eachother at the greeting cards/girls clothing section. I was with my three kids and my sister w/ her baby in a stroller. I'll just have to shop there more often and introduce myself next time!

AngMomof3 said...

(P.S. friends visiting my blog... check it out! SJ commented on my blog! :)

Becky said...

So fun!!! Good reason to move over to your neck of the woods ;) Thanks for posting this fun little "sighting" Angela. And "Hey Stacy, you've stopped at the blog of an awesome mom, wife, friend and scrapbooker!" Come back soon! :)

Clover said...

Too funny Ang! :)

No, being really and trully famous would NOT be worth it. People would post all over the internet every time you were rude on a plane... ;-)