mem oirs (mem'warz)
n.pl. 1. an autobiography 2. a record of events based on the writer's personal observation and knowledge

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Pie and Pals




Mmmmm... gotta share!

My great Aunt Betty of New Zealand once made this pie for me, and I just had to have the recipe. The combination of pears, sour cream and almond extract (oh, and some sugar and butter too...) create one of my favorite flavors in a fruit pie. Here's the recipe-- try it sometime!

Creamy Pear Pie
From Aunt Betty in New Zealand

Mix together:
3-4 lg. pears (Bartlett good), peeled and diced
1/3 c. sugar
2 T flour or tapioca
1 egg slightly beaten
Add and place in unbaked pie crust:
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
¼ c. flour
2 T. melted butter
½ tsp. almond extract
On top place mixture of:
2 T. brown sugar
¼ c. flour
2 T. melted butter
Bake 400 degrees for 10 minutes, lower heat to 350
for 45 minutes more.

And, since I was at risk of eating the whole pie myself, I decided to share it with my dinner guests. We had the pleasure of hosting friends from "way back"... Katie K (my GPB sorority pledge sister and birthday-sharing buddy)with her husband Mike and their adorable kiddos Lauren and Will... and Angela H (best friend ALL through elementary and secondary school years) with her hubby Mathew and sweet chillins Jacob and Chesney. They'd all been at the UI football game (Go Vandals!) and made time to come hang out with us and share a meal. Ah... fun times and great pie!

3 comments:

Karen Tews Lien said...

Yummy! Don't tell me you made your own pie crust! I love pies, but can never get the crust to come out.

Clover said...

That pie was DEEEElish!! Yum. I can't wait to make it. The Mr. is pretty excited about that taking place too.

What a fun night that was! Thank you again. :)

And I love the new look here. I'm catching up with my blog buddies today!

Lisa S. said...

Wow, this looks wonderful! Thanks for pointing me to it. I'm going to give it a try this fall.