mem oirs (mem'warz)
n.pl. 1. an autobiography 2. a record of events based on the writer's personal observation and knowledge

Friday, May 28, 2010

Friday Fave-- Pearl Shakes

The food here on island is fabulous!!! I've had Chamorro (local), Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Thai and Japanese... and will likely try more.

At the local Street Market (held on Thursday evenings), you can find most of these foods, arts and crafts and entertainment. My brother introduced me to the "Pearl Shake".



On the mainland, we'd consider them smoothies. I chose a fresh mango and strawberry one. So what are the "pearls", you ask? Well, they are actually black slimy balls of tapioca.




I was quite skeptical at first, but am determined to try (just about) everything on the island. And so far, I've liked most everything I've tried. The pearl shake was no exception. I've craved one since I had it on the first Thursday evening. And last night we got to chat with the owner of Champ's Shaved Ice and Pearl Shakes (Elbert) and even found out the family secret recipe for the way they prepare the pearls... mmmm!

(I chose not to try the stuffed squid here:)





What strange or good foods have you tried???

1 comment:

Anita Cory said...

Hi friend,
I think these Pearl Tea drinks might also be called Bubble Tea. They make them at Azia and Mihn's. Samantha (my co-worker) loves them and gets them at these places, but I've been skeptical.