mem oirs (mem'warz)
n.pl. 1. an autobiography 2. a record of events based on the writer's personal observation and knowledge

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Failure.

These are not my cake pops. These belong to Little Miss Momma, where we found our idea. Lovely blog w/ lovely photos and great instructions-- just what I strive for in my blog too!

But I'm gonna share a failure w/ you. Because life isn't perfect, even if blogs make it look so.

For my daughter's 8th birthday, we decided to create a special treat for her parties with friends. The popular trend in treats is CAKE POPS. After some internet research, Allison and I felt ready for the challenge.
Ingredients and cake stand (styro circle) ready!

Following the instructions from Little Miss Momma perfectly... make the cake, crumble it up...
Add in the frosting...
Yummy, fun, messy!
Everyone joined in making the cake balls. Closest to mud we can play this time of year.
Went to the smallest detail of dipping our sticks to make them stick well into the balls of cake/frosting...
Lookin' good! Chilled them in hopes they'd firm up.
Here's where it all went downhill. Pretty photos, pops, happy creators... until we begin the dipping. I anticipated it to be tricky, so my anxiety level was up a bit.

They didn't look too pretty, but we wanted to forge ahead. Dipped and stuck like a lollipop into the styrofoam circle.

Then, disaster.
The cake balls began falling right off the sticks! They were too heavy and goopy-- but we'd followed the instructions.
Sweet A broke into tears... and mommy almost did! Not sure where it went wrong. My best guess is that the balls needed to be firmer (chilled longer or partially frozen maybe?) to work out. But even then, I'm not sure how they'd hold their own weight.

Luckily, they still tasted great. And sweet Allison can make the most of any bummer-- she pretends it's just how she intended and she moves on. (I need to be more like her.)

So, smiles on the face w/ plan B...
And we had some tasty treats for her friends.
And I'll tell you that not one 8 year old complained of the imperfections of our failure.

Just my lesson for today that I don't have to be perfect or even proclaim that I try to be. Thank goodness for grace on so many levels!

7 comments:

Scraping Miami said...

Its okay I made those to and I make them without the sticks they are so yummy, great job I'm sure yours were yummy.

Anita Cory said...

yet another thing I have missed by having my nose in my computer for 6 months. Cake balls? You get good Mom points for this!

Shelle and Dan said...

Good job trying something new. I saw cake balls on Bakerella, but didn't think I had the baking chops to pull them off. I'm glad the failure could be turned into a success and all 8-year olds were happy.

sam said...

Not a failure!!!!!!!!!!! you and the kids had fun and I think the end result still looked cute! Yummers!

Crystal said...

Oh, boy. I (and daughter) have been looking forward to something like this, for her upcoming 7th birthday!

I even requested Bakerella's cake pops book from the library...it arrived, daughter & I looked through it, got inspired, and had to return it to the library way sooner than we'd like. I tried to renew it, but apparently it's a popular book and they said no. ;-) She was so disappointed when we had to return it, but I told her we'd try to get it again. :)

Now the deadline approaches (April 15), and I read your blog post. So glad to see something like this ahead of time...preparing myself for very possible failure.

MAYBE then, I can come close to responding as graciously as you did. Thank you for sharing! :)

Clover said...

Oh man, I could have written this blog post a couple of weeks ago. Mine were too big, and while they stayed on the sticks they weren't very cute. LOL. They make it look so easy on Bakerella!!

I think you really have to stick the sticks almost all the way in there and then freeze them for about an hour.

ashley @ little miss momma said...

so long as they are yummy, then they aren't a failure--and those look SUPER YUMMY girl!!!